November 24 - 30, 2014
|Mon||8 AM - 10 PM|
|Tue||8 AM - 10 PM|
|Wed||8 AM - 10 PM|
- To find print books in the Library, search the Library Catalog.
- The Library also subscribes to a database of electronic books that can be used from off-campus. It covers all subject areas and also contains the full text of nursing books.
Journals and Magazine Articles:
- Note: Articles in magazines and journals are published on a weekly or monthly basis, and newspapers are even published daily. The time span between when an article is written and published is relatively short so it is much easier to find articles on breaking and current news items.
- The vast majority of the Library's periodicals are available in electronic form in databases. In the databases you can find articles on just about any subject. The databases can be used in the Library as well as at home. Our print journals and magazines are located in the Periodicals Room inside the Library in S-410.
Useful databases for nursing research are:
- EBSCO Health Source: more than 850 full text periodicals in the areas of nursing, allied health and other medical disciplines are available.
- Health Reference Center: this database contains the full text of periodicals for health-related research, approximately 700 pamphlets, and the full text of several reference books such as Mosby's Medical, Nursing, and Allied Health Dictionary, The Consumer Health Information Source Book, USP-DI Vol. II: Advice for the Patient, Drug Information in Lay Language, The Complete Directory for People with Chronic Illness, Gale Encyclopedia of Medicine, and PDR Family Guide to Nutrition and Health.
- Lexis-Nexis: Lexis-Nexis contains a vast amount of research resources such as newspapers, business, legal and medical journals and magazines. Full text medical research resources include news articles from medical and health sources on healthcare and articles from medical and health journals on a wide variety of topics.
- EBSCO Host CINAHL and Pre-CINAHL: this database doesn't contain any full text articles. It indexes materials such as healthcare books, nursing dissertations, conference proceedings, standards of practice, educational software in nursing, audiovisuals, and book chapters.
- The BMCC Library's print newspapers are available in the Periodicals Room inside the Library in S-410.
- The Lexis-Nexis database contains more than 5,600 full text news, business, legal, medical, and reference publications.
- National Institutes of Health
- National League for Nursing
- National Network of Libraries of Medicine
- Nursing World
- The BMCC Library owns approximately 1,300 audiovisual items. Search the library catalog for titles or come to the Reference Desk inside the Library to look at a complete list of all videos. Information on how to borrow an item can be found on the Media Department page.
- List of Nursing videos and DVDs in the BMCC Library
Library Catalog and perform a keyword search for: nursing care plans
Some examples are:
- Ackley, B. J. & Ladwig, G. B. (2002). Nursing diagnosis handbook: a guide to planning care. St. Louis: Mosby.
Location: Stacks - RT 48.6 .A35 2002
- Puderbaugh-Ulrich, S. & Weyland-Canale, S. (2001). Nursing care planning guides: for adults in acute, extended and home care settings. Philadelphia: W.B. Saunders.
Location: Stacks - RT49.U47 2001
Note: The collection of books that is located to the right-hand side of the Library's entrance is called stacks. The books in the stacks can be checked out and taken home.
Books that are on reserve are kept at the circulation desk and can only be used for two hours inside the Library.
Reference books are located on the books shelves by the reference desk. They can also not be checked out.
- Legal & Ethical Issues: Search the Library Catalog to find books on this topic. An example of a book on this topic available in the BMCC Library is:
Guido, G. W. (2001). Legal and ethical issues in nursing. Upper Saddle River: Prentice Hall.
Location: Stacks - KF2915.N8 G85 2001
The EBSCO Host Health Source database contains articles from journals and magazines on ethical issues in the nursing profession. For example, the full text of the journals Nursing Ethics, Nursing and Journal of Advanced Nursing is available in this database. The Health Reference Center database is also a good source for articles on this topic.
- Health Care: Newspaper articles on this issue can be found in the Lexis Nexis database's News research section. The medical research section in Lexis Nexis also contains news articles and articles from journals and magazines on this topic.
Since health care is a widely discussed topic, you can find sources in a number of databases including: EBSCO Host Academic Search Complete, EBSCO Host Health Source, and Health Reference Center. All of these databases can be accessed through the Databases page.