Jan. 28 - May 25, 2013
|Mon||8 AM - 10 PM|
|Tue||8 AM - 10 PM|
|Wed||8 AM - 10 PM|
|Thur||8 AM - 10 PM|
|Fri||8 AM - 7 PM|
|Sat||10 AM - 6 PM|
|Sun||12 PM - 5 PM|
- Informative Speech
Speaker teaches his/her audience by conveying information and facts about objects, processes, events, or concepts.
- Persuasive Speech
Speaker takes a stance on an issue and uses arguments to convert the audience to his or her point of view.
Think of something you know a lot about, like a hobby, or something you want to learn more about. Keep in mind that finding sources is much easier if your topic isn't obscure. Read a newspaper or watch the news to find out what issues are hot and talked about a lot.
- Speech and Term Paper Topics - get ideas for a speech topic.
Viewpoints - books on current topics like
abortion, the death penalty, gambling, and much more. Search CUNYPlus for books to check out.
- 10000 Ideas for Term
Papers, Projects, Reports and Speeches
Call Number - LB 1047.3.I35 1998
It takes time to research, write a book and get it published, so it is difficult to find a book on a very current subject. For example, it is extremely unlikely that you could have found a well-researched book on the events of September 11th as early as December 2001.
Articles in magazines and journals are published on a weekly or monthly basis, or in the case of newspapers, even daily. This means it is much easier to find articles on current topics.
- Most of the library's journals are available in databases. The databases can be used in the library and off campus.
- The library also subscribes to many journals and magazines in print. For help finding articles go to the Periodicals room in the back of the library (S-400).
Anybody can publish on the Web. Just because a Website exists doesn't mean the information in it is reliable. Therefore, it is important to evaluate Web content before you use it in a speech or paper.
- CQ Researcher (BMCC Database)
- Information Series on Current Topics (BMCC Database)
- Statistics: Databases by Subject
Abstract of the United States
Call number HA 202.A38
- Structure and outline an informative speech.
- Five-step method for improving your speech delivery.
- Tips for stage presence and gestures when delivering a speech.
de Oratoria: como Apprender a Hablar en Publico en Diez Horas
Call Number: PN 4128.D35 2000
Elements of Public Speaking
Call Number: PN 4121.D389 2000
Art of Public Speaking
Call Number: PN 4121.L72 2001
American Reader: Words that Moved a Nation
Call Number: E173 .A753 1990
of Multicultural America: Notable Speeches Delivered by African,
Asian, Hispanic, and Native Americans
Call Number: PS 663.M55 V64 1996
- Ask a Librarian
- Research Consultation
- How to Find Books
- How to Find Articles
- How to Cite: MLA or APA
- Off Campus Access
- Guides / Tutorials
- Borrow / Renew Books
- Library Instruction
- Request Forms
- Laptop / E-Reader
- Institutional Repository
- Assistive Technology